Pluggable auth modules

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 01:00:08 PDT 2011

On Thursday, 2 de June de 2011 17:43:23 Pavel Strashkin wrote:
> This is THE HUGE fail of D-Bus team if they really think in this way.
> We use it for network connections, sometimes under heavy load, and it
> works perfect! It's sad that there is still no understanding that
> D-Bus isn't just a "some useless" staff for KDE or upstart. This is
> the project with a big potential so it has to grow internally. I heard
> many times from Simon and other guys words like "TCP/IP?!! Are you
> crazy?". This is funny. You made the project and you don't believe in
> it's power.

We do believe in its power. But we are very clear on what we're trying to
accomplish here: local IPC first and foremost. We'll not sacrifice performance
there for network transparency support.

Besides, we haven't implemented authentication or encryption for D-Bus. Anyone
using it over TCP/IP connections is crazy (unless it's for very, very limited
use-cases). If you want to have authentication and encryption, you need to
write your own transport layer and use dbus_message_get_bytes or something. At
that point, the D-Bus authentication is just an impediment.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358