DBus for LSB

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Apr 17 11:08:57 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 13:39 -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the next LSB release (LSB 5.0) the LSB work group would like to
> include DBus in the LSB. For this to heppen we need to figure out what
> interfaces and commands should be included in the LSB. The target
> version for inclusion would be DBus 1.4

So there's approximately 4 major components to "DBus":

1) The wire protocol
2) The libdbus-1.so shared library
3) The interface and semantics exported by the bus daemon
4) The tools

> Taking a look at openSUSE 11.4 I found 333 interfaces marked as GLOBAL
> in the library. But I didn't find any documentation of the interfaces on
> the DBus site. I was probably looking the the wrong place,

Yes, http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/api/html/index.html

Cursory inspection of the source code would reveal the documentation as
well.

>  thus if
> someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

You seem to be referring to 2).  However, I think the major focus of
"standardization" should be on 1) and 3).  It's true that at present
many components use libdbus-1.so, and we will keep it stable for ISVs.

As for 4) - not very interesting for standardization I think; they're
all either developer tools or internal OS components.  Maybe fixing
the dbus-send interface in stone would make sense - it's not like
we're ever going to change it anyways.