cmake for dbus-python and dbus-glib

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 08:19:00 PDT 2012

On 28/06/12 15:29, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Unfortunately I do only have that much time, and as
> long as no one really offers some help, I am investing it into actually
> porting instead of patch formatting etc.

If you attach a patch to a bug, I can't promise to review it straight
away, but I'll get there eventually (assuming another reviewer
doesn't)... and it'll also be where other users of D-Bus would (or at
least, should) look for it.

The purpose of our code review procedure is to see and avoid bugs and
design flaws - so a reviewer might well tell you about a potential
problem before you run into it "in real life" :-)

> Regarding the parallel build systems: Is there really any need for
> autotools?

The autotools build system is standard for GNU projects, and autotools +
pkg-config has become the de facto standard for other Free OS
infrastructure (like D-Bus). As a result, it's well-supported by Linux
distributions' infrastructure, and Linux distributions are D-Bus' main
users. Autotools supports cross-compiling and the incredibly useful
"distcheck" target, and whenever a new build/packaging feature comes
along (Debian-style multiarch being a recent example), Autotools
integration is one of the first considerations.

All build systems are basically terrible, and Autotools is no exception,
but I've found it to be among the less terrible, and its flaws are at
least well-understood.