Fwd: Results of the freedesktop summit

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 17 09:25:26 PDT 2013

On quarta-feira, 17 de abril de 2013 14.16.41, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Could be. Is that the tree where things are being developed? On one hand,
> > it was never announced, no details were ever shared. On the other, the
> > repository seems to be 2 months old and have 415 commits, so it seems to
> > be
> > active.
>
> It was on greg's blog, it was on LWN! It was discussed on Google
> Plus. It was discussed on various IRC channels.

And I posted a reply to Greg on G+ and at the time it was said that there was
nothing to be seen yet. As I understand from you and from him, there's still
nothing to be seen.

That's understandable.

What I don't understand is why you were presenting that during the fd.o
summit, before presenting it to the D-Bus community. Not even to post the link
to where you were developing the code.

> You know, there's a Linux community beyond the D-Bus ML. It sometimes
> is quite a good idea to look your own nose if you want to know what
> people experiment with.

And you know there's quite a great deal of knowledge in the D-Bus ML. So you
know that the people here will be able to help you a lot. To be honest, I do
not understand how you can have *any* discussions *anywhere* but on this
mailing list.

Why should you discuss a D-Bus reimplementation elsewhere?

I asked some people that question and the answer that satisfied me is "we're
experimenting, we quite frankly don't need the bikeshed just yet. But soon.".
No offence meant or taken on that, I know how things are once you go public.

> > The README says "Seriously, don't look at this yet" and "If you wish to
> > talk to me about this code base, please reconsider".
>
> Yeah, and that's true. There's nothing to discuss in the greater
> community yet. Just develop some patience, please.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358