Fwd: Results of the freedesktop summit

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Apr 17 09:58:42 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17.04.13 09:25, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> And I posted a reply to Greg on G+ and at the time it was said that there was
> nothing to be seen yet. As I understand from you and from him, there's still
> nothing to be seen.
>
> That's understandable.
>
> What I don't understand is why you were presenting that during the fd.o
> summit, before presenting it to the D-Bus community. Not even to post the link
> to where you were developing the code.

Well, this was mostly to get Ryan up to speed. But sure, I'll ask
everybody else to leave the room next time, when we talk this through
with Ryan, if that's what you want.

> > You know, there's a Linux community beyond the D-Bus ML. It sometimes
> > is quite a good idea to look your own nose if you want to know what
> > people experiment with.
>
> And you know there's quite a great deal of knowledge in the D-Bus ML. So you
> know that the people here will be able to help you a lot. To be honest, I do
> not understand how you can have *any* discussions *anywhere* but on this
> mailing list.

Well, for starters, it's a *mailing*  *list*. When you hack and try to
figure out what you want to do, it's *much* better to do that face to
face, and that's what we did. The whole reason why Kay and I went down
to Nuremberg is to have face-to-face discussions, and the emphasis here
is on "face-to-face"...

If you are pissed that we didn't include you in these face-to-face
discussions, then maybe you should think about attending too, the next
time? AFAIK you were invited to the meeting...

> Why should you discuss a D-Bus reimplementation elsewhere?
>
> I asked some people that question and the answer that satisfied me is "we're
> experimenting, we quite frankly don't need the bikeshed just yet. But soon.".
> No offence meant or taken on that, I know how things are once you go
> public.

Yeah, and that's pretty much how it is. We don't want the bikshedding for
now.

But I guess it's a dilemma. Either the bikeshedding or Thiago
complaining. Jeez.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.