Problems using dbus in a windows service

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Aug 6 13:14:44 PDT 2013

Am 06.08.2013 16:35, schrieb Nico Höss:
> Gianluca Ghelli <gghelli at ...> writes:
>

>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I've been using the windows port of DBus for a while and it worked very
> well but I have now developed an application working as a windows system
> service and it hangs when it tries to connect to the dbus-daemon on the
> usual default port tcp:12434.
Which dbus version are you using ? The answer depends on that.
>> I also tried to launch the dbus-deamon as an NT Service using the WIndows
> 2008 sdk utilities instsrv.exe and runsrv.exe, it starts but you cannot
> connect to it.
>> I'm using:
>>
>> - Windows 7 64 bit Professional- WinDBUS  1.24 and 1.6.x, the latter
> compiled winth msvc-10 and mingw
>> In the CMakefile there is a dbus-windows-service.c file enabled if you
> check the option to enable the windows ervice but the file is missing also
> from the Git head.
Windows service support has not been used and therefore has not been
finished because of the dbus-daemon autolaunch feature
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#meta-transports-autolaunch
>> I wasn't able to understand why the DBus daemon is having troubles to work
> with windows services, does anybody have any suggestion?
You may add -DDBUS_USE_OUTPUT_DEBUG_STRING:BOOL=ON to the cmake
configure line to
enable win32 debug port for message output. The debug port output could
be shown with dbgview
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

If you start dbus-daemon and your windows service with the environment
variable DBUS_VERBOSE=1 set before, you will see dbus debug messages.

Regards
  Ralf