D-Bus daemon configuration file

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 10:30:15 PST 2013

On 02/12/13 17:48, Bogdan Lotko wrote:
> Is it possible to use environment variables in D-Bus daemon
> configuration file?

No, but see below.

> In particular I'd like to pass the host TCP address and the port number,
> or the whole address line to be placed in the <listen> tag.

I think you can use something like:

    dbus-daemon --address="tcp:host=10.11.12.13,port=65432"

(which is how systemd makes it listen on the systemd: pseudo-address).
Or in fact, on Unix, you could pass in an already-listening TCP socket
using the systemd LISTEN_FDS protocol, and tell it to listen on "systemd:".

FWIW, if you find yourself needing to use TCP addresses (other than
localhost-to-localhost TCP on Windows as a workaround for Windows' lack
of AF_UNIX), you're probably some way outside the use cases that are
actively maintained.