D-Bus daemon configuration file

Bogdan Lotko boguslaw.lotko at chello.at
Mon Dec 2 10:50:59 PST 2013

Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for the answer.
Of course I should mention I need it for LINUX :)

The --address seems to be a not documented command line parameter (I
couldn't find it in dbus-daemon manual).
I suppose it will override the <listen> token which in that case can
contain any address. Is this correct?

regards,

Bogdan

On 12/2/2013 19:30, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 02/12/13 17:48, Bogdan Lotko wrote:
>> Is it possible to use environment variables in D-Bus daemon
>> configuration file?
> No, but see below.
>
>> In particular I'd like to pass the host TCP address and the port number,
>> or the whole address line to be placed in the<listen>  tag.
> I think you can use something like:
>
>      dbus-daemon --address="tcp:host=10.11.12.13,port=65432"
>
> (which is how systemd makes it listen on the systemd: pseudo-address).
> Or in fact, on Unix, you could pass in an already-listening TCP socket
> using the systemd LISTEN_FDS protocol, and tell it to listen on "systemd:".
>
> FWIW, if you find yourself needing to use TCP addresses (other than
> localhost-to-localhost TCP on Windows as a workaround for Windows' lack
> of AF_UNIX), you're probably some way outside the use cases that are
> actively maintained.

*Bogdan Lotko*

b.lotko at chello.at
Phone: +43 1 2852458