Starting the kdbus discussions

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sun Dec 29 11:52:59 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 01:04 +-0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

+AD4 This makes us comfortable to start discussion on the dbus ML regarding
+AD4 the details and what this means for the dbus spec. I have put together a
+AD4 document now that explains what we are doing and how to port a dbus1
+AD4 library over to a kdbus backend. Much of this hopefully should end up in
+AD4 the dbus spec one day.
+AD4
+AD4 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/plain/src/libsystemd-bus/PORTING-DBUS1

Glad that you're ready to start talking about this.  I guess the
question I really want to ask is perhaps the elephant in the room.  With
a different serialization format, a different name registration scheme,
different connection parameters, different service description files...
heck, some of the fields seem arbitrarily inverted.   This doesn't seem
like DBus at all, but something entirely different, more +ACI-DBus inspired+ACI
rather than something related to DBus itself.

Also, it seems that there are rather direct dependencies on systemd.
While I consider that a negative in itself, it also means that DBus has
a direct dependency on Linux as I understand that systemd only intends
to support Linux.  And that seems also a negative for DBus.

I realize this is a work in progress, but it seems to me that it's not a
feasible replacement for DBus and in fact something different that is
intended to work in a more limited set of systems.

Ted