Secret Service API

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sat Feb 16 10:20:29 PST 2013

On Saturday 16 February 2013 19:02:39 christoffer.buchholz at gmail.com wrote:

> Hey,

Hello,

> I found this Secret Service API[1] which I'd like to use in my application,
but I'm a bit confused as to the state of it. From the document, it seems to
be a draft.

> Is it ready to be used?
>
> [1]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/secret-service/

The draft you mention here is about an interface a secret management service
should provide. It was intended to allow cross-desktop environment
integration. For it to work, some daemon should register on the dbus and
respond to function calls. You'll need such a deamon if you intend to work
with this API. KDE deamon called ksercretsserviced is not ready yet. It is
planned to be releases as part of the future "KDE Frameworks 5" platform.

Another implentation is (to be) provided by gnome-keyring. I'm not aware of
the state of this implementation, though.

Regards,

--
Valentin Rusu (vrusu)
IRC: valir