Signal subscriptions dead on upgrade to Ubuntu Raring (13.04)

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Tue May 7 17:58:00 PDT 2013

Hey list,

Since taking the suggestions on the mailing list, the following code
worked perfectly when I tested it under Ubuntu Precise (12.04):

<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~avaneya/avaneya/trunk/view/head:/Extras/Viking%20Lander%20Remastered/Launcher/Source/RecoveryPage.py>

What it does is launch a separate process written in C++ which does
some long work. This latter target process provides a d-bus service
which emits two signals on the session bus so the former Python
application can track its progress as it works. The Python of course
needs to subscribe to these messages.

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu Raring, I've noticed that neither of the two
signals the Python application subscribes to on lines 169 and 180 seem
to work anymore. The calls don't seem to fail, but the notifications
simply never seem to arrive.

One thing I'm confident of is the client definitely appears to be
emitting the notification signals since I can see them via
dbus-monitor.

Has something changed in GDBus in the runtimes present in Raring that
wasn't in Precise that I need to initialize, call, or what have you? Or
perhaps my usage was just wrong to begin with, but more evident now
with the upgraded runtimes?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred