Signal subscriptions dead on upgrade to Ubuntu Raring (13.04)

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Fri May 10 14:41:51 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 17:58 -0700, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> Since taking the suggestions on the mailing list, the following code
> worked perfectly when I tested it under Ubuntu Precise (12.04):
>
> <https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~avaneya/avaneya/trunk/view/head:/Extras/Viking%20Lander%20Remastered/Launcher/Source/RecoveryPage.py>
>
> What it does is launch a separate process written in C++ which does
> some long work. This latter target process provides a d-bus service
> which emits two signals on the session bus so the former Python
> application can track its progress as it works. The Python of course
> needs to subscribe to these messages.
>
> Since I upgraded to Ubuntu Raring, I've noticed that neither of the two
> signals the Python application subscribes to on lines 169 and 180 seem
> to work anymore. The calls don't seem to fail, but the notifications
> simply never seem to arrive.
>
> One thing I'm confident of is the client definitely appears to be
> emitting the notification signals since I can see them via
> dbus-monitor.
>
> Has something changed in GDBus in the runtimes present in Raring that
> wasn't in Precise that I need to initialize, call, or what have you? Or
> perhaps my usage was just wrong to begin with, but more evident now
> with the upgraded runtimes?

Hey list,

I've created a minimal that replicates my problem:

  <http://pastebin.com/ZRhfdYcH>

Note that neither the onProgressSignal or onNotificationSignal callbacks
are ever invoked. All I know is that this code was working perfectly
under Ubuntu Precise, but now the callbacks don't work since Raring.

The application emitting the signals is definitely appears to be doing
what it is suppose to:

        $ dbus-monitor
        "type='signal',sender='com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorService',interface='com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorInterface'"
        signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.312 serial=2
        path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
        member=NameAcquired
           string ":1.312"

        signal sender=:1.313 ->
        dest=com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorService serial=5
        path=/com/cartesiantheatre/VikingExtractorObject;
        interface=com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorInterface;
        member=Notification
           string "Indexing mission data, please wait..."

        signal sender=:1.313 ->
        dest=com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorService serial=6
        path=/com/cartesiantheatre/VikingExtractorObject;
        interface=com.cartesiantheatre.VikingExtractorInterface;
        member=Notification

Any help really appreciated. I'm getting fairly desperate now and I
can't seem to find anything in the code.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred