Status of kdbus? was Re: Signal subscriptions dead on upgrade to Ubuntu Raring (13.04)

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed May 15 05:46:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, 15.05.13 09:14, Tim Sander (tim at krieglstein.org) wrote:

> Hi
> > That will begin to change when kdbus comes along.
> Do you have more info on this? As these KDBus guys have a rather strange
> communication behaviour (e.g. not using this list?). But keeping politics
> aside, having a faster (lower latency ) dbus would be really good.

Cool, another Thiago!

If you want to know what is going on in kdbus land, please follow the
git repositories, that's where development takes place...

https://code.google.com/p/d-bus/source/list
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/log/src/libsystemd-bus

We'll post this for review to LKML and the dbus ML as soon as we
actually have covered everything we need to cover.

In the past weeks we have been working on figuring out what we actually
can do in the kernel regarding zero-copy stuff, both technically and
politically.

We have a scheme now that can do single-copy for small messages and
zero-copy for large messages, which is pretty much the best possible
outcome. Now we just need to hook this up everywhere...

(You can now send a large text file over kdbus with exactly 0 copies,
how amazing is that? dbus-1 requires 5 copies for that...)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.