Status of kdbus, and other dbus-daemons

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 16 02:38:03 PDT 2013

On 15/05/13 18:43, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Simon McVittie
> <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>> * GLib's gdbus-daemon (from GNOME glib.git)
>
> IIRC, Alexander Larsson wrote this so GLib apps on Win32 don't have to
> bundle (and thus build) the libdbus-1 reference implementation (for
> dbus-daemon.exe) which IIRC was a paint point (still think it is).

*shrug* I've lost track of what Windows people do and don't find
painful. As of dbus 1.7.x, a default dbus build with either cmake or
mingw should interop with itself and GDBus "out of the box"; if not,
bugs/patches welcome.

(1.6.x need special configuration, due to some disagreement over what
the default address should be; I didn't really want to change behaviour
on the stable branch.)

> [1] : IIRC, it's using the same mutexes, locks and shared memory
> segments as the libdbus-1 implementation to store the address (akin to
> how Linux/X11 apps store it in a X11 window property). Btw, these are
> still not documented in the D-Bus spec so it's just a coincidence that
> things work...

I'd accept patches from someone who understands this stuff (with
appropriate review from Ralf).