Status of kdbus, and other dbus-daemons

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed May 15 10:43:40 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> * GLib's gdbus-daemon (from GNOME glib.git)
>
>   - mainly intended for regression tests; I don't think it has
>     the full dbus-daemon feature-set, particularly not the system bus
>     parts, but it might be enough to implement a session bus

IIRC, Alexander Larsson wrote this so GLib apps on Win32 don't have to
bundle (and thus build) the libdbus-1 reference implementation (for
dbus-daemon.exe) which IIRC was a paint point (still think it is). I
don't know if anyone is using it, but AFAIK it's supposed to work fine
and even interoperate with other D-Bus apps, use existing bus daemons
and so on [1]. I don't know but I thought it'd be interesting to
mention.

    David

[1] : IIRC, it's using the same mutexes, locks and shared memory
segments as the libdbus-1 implementation to store the address (akin to
how Linux/X11 apps store it in a X11 window property). Btw, these are
still not documented in the D-Bus spec so it's just a coincidence that
things work... then again... if someone care enough about Windows, I'm
sure we could document it.