Possibility of 1.8.x release

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 28 02:35:29 PST 2013

On 27/11/13 16:27, Fridrich Strba wrote:
> I became a maintainer of dbus in SUSE after Timo Hoenig went. We have
> currently in our latest releases the 1.7.x series and this message
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2013-November/msg00025.html
> indicates that it would not be difficult to request a stable 1.8
> branch. This solution would be great for us. What can I help so that a
> stable 1.8.0 release can become a reality?

When do you need it? I want to do stable branches as often as necessary,
but not more often than that: if we stable-branch too soon, we end up
trying to support more stable branches at once than we really need to,
and that cuts into the limited amount of time that I and other
maintainers can devote to D-Bus. The longer you leave it, the more new
features you can have, but the less time you have to integrate it before
you (presumably) freeze the distro.

Other than that, please report bugs upstream, provide patches for bugs
if you can, and review patches that are important to you (or patches in
general, really). If you're a distro maintainer for D-Bus, I hope you
already know where the bug tracker is :-)

As with any project, there's nothing magically more reliable about a new
stable-branch: 1.8.0 will just be whatever happened to be in master at
the time. The stability aspect is that after it has branched, only fixes
with a high importance:diff ratio get applied to it, and there are no
new features.