Starting the kdbus discussions

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 09:56:30 PST 2014

On sexta-feira, 3 de janeiro de 2014 13:18:05, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > Ryan is doing the porting work for gdbus, and the Samsung guys are doing
> > the porting work for libdbus1. With that in place, we have support from
> > all three libs.
>
> Regarding libdbus and the D-Bus Specification: "freedesktop.org bug, or
> it didn't happen".

The libdbus-1 one is on me. I'll get the Samsung guys to present their work.

> If the normative description of GVariant serialization is not itself
> part of the D-Bus Specification, and the D-Bus spec just says "see this
> other document" that's OK, but in that case I would like the "other
> document" to be at least as formal as the D-Bus Specification itself: so
> something with version-numbered releases, a changelog, and a stable,
> non-vendor-specific URL that doesn't point to someone's personal
> public_html or similar.
>
> I'd prefer it to live in either dbus.git, glib.git or systemd.git, and
> be uploaded to freedesktop.org (or maybe gnome.org in its role as "home
> of GLib").

Referring to an external document is fine and I actually want to see us refer
to the prior art in GVariant, giving credit where it is due (mostly to Ryan).

However, if we wish to standardise on it, the spec to be used for D-Bus needs
to move out of glib.git & gnome.org and into dbus.git & freedesktop.org. Any
changes to the spec need to be discussed in this community, as a neutral and
central place. For two reasons, mostly:

a) to avoid unilateral changes, whether intentional or merely by accident
b) to give a more formal blessing of the common and neutral structure that
    fd.o is supposed to be

PS: if it isn't clear, I support the move to the new marshalling format.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358