Starting the kdbus discussions

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Tue Jan 7 23:42:24 PST 2014

On Tue, 07.01.14 10:36, Thiago Macieira (thiago at kde.org) wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 2 de janeiro de 2014 15:34:00, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Kay just tried to describe an another facet of the system after a
> > desktop environment adopted systemd as a service manager: we try to
> > shift the focus from a session bus to a user bus. This of course is
> > another politically senstive thing since some people are strongly bound
> > to the idea that multiple local session of the same user should work. We
> > kinda put an end to that.
>
> Speaking as someone who disagreed with that in the past:
>
> While I don't expect you guys to develop the code for supporting multiple user
> sessions with different buses if you believe that this is not beneficial, I
> would expect that you accept the patches from people who might think that's a
> good idea and make it work.

We will certainly not accept any such patches to the systemd
sources. It's a design choice, and we will not allow making things more
complicated than necessary with upstream systemd, sorry.

Note that the kernel side of kdbus makes no restrictionns on how many
busses you have and how you call them. With a different userspace than
systemd you can hence certainly create as many busses as you like, and
introduce session, user, system, organization, world, and whatnot
busses, but in systemd we try to to keep things simple, and there's only
going to be user and system busses as well-known onces.

(And of course, this stuff is open source, people can always run their
own patched/forked version, they're welcome)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat