How to install python-dbus with pip?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 03:56:40 PDT 2014

On 18/06/14 22:04, Peng Yu wrote:
> I get the following error when I try to install dbus-python with pip.
>   Downloading dbus-python-0.84.0.tar.gz (563kB): 563kB downloaded
>   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/dbus-python/setup.py)

Some tool appears to be assuming that everything listed on pip will use
distutils (setup.py). dbus-python does not: it uses Autotools.

dbus-python is in the same situation as, for instance, pygobject. I
recommend obtaining it from your OS distribution.

I don't want to switch its build system to distutils because in my
experience, the reliability of Python packages' build systems increases
considerably by switching from distutils to Autotools.

(Also, 0.84 is really old... at some point I should either upload a
newer version to pip, or delete it from pip, depending whether listing
packages on pip that don't use setup.py is considered to be useful.)