How to install python-dbus with pip?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 07:51:49 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/06/14 22:04, Peng Yu wrote:
>> I get the following error when I try to install dbus-python with pip.
>>   Downloading dbus-python-0.84.0.tar.gz (563kB): 563kB downloaded
>>   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/dbus-python/setup.py)
>
> Some tool appears to be assuming that everything listed on pip will use
> distutils (setup.py). dbus-python does not: it uses Autotools.
>
> dbus-python is in the same situation as, for instance, pygobject. I
> recommend obtaining it from your OS distribution.

I use python installed by myself. Will the dbus-python from my OS
distribution work with the python that I installed?

When I run ./configure dbus-python-1.2.0, I get the following error.
Do you know how to fix it? Thanks.

checking for DBUS... no
configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-1 >= 1.6) were not met:

No package 'dbus-1' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DBUS_CFLAGS
and DBUS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

> I don't want to switch its build system to distutils because in my
> experience, the reliability of Python packages' build systems increases
> considerably by switching from distutils to Autotools.
>
> (Also, 0.84 is really old... at some point I should either upload a
> newer version to pip, or delete it from pip, depending whether listing
> packages on pip that don't use setup.py is considered to be useful.)

Regards,
Peng