Notifications don't show up (notify-send notify-osd)

Mehturt mehturt at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:42:36 PDT 2014

Hello,
I am experiencing dbus issues on my Debian machine and I was not able
to get help anywhere (tried various Linux forums), so I'm posting
here, maybe you would help me diagnose my problem.

Notifications via notify-send and notify-osd stopped working for me
for no apparent reason. notify-send does not display anything.
notify-osd displays this error:

** (notify-osd:30409): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility
bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-JOB9rCGFAt: Connection
refused

** (notify-osd:30409): WARNING **: dbus_create_service_instance(): Got
error "Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-GWnKyuCbfH: Connection
refused"

** (notify-osd:30409): WARNING **: Could not register instance

This used to work just fine for me before, so maybe it's some recent
change in Debian? I also have my own script to set DBUS related
environment, but it no longer works with this as well:

session="$HOME/.dbus/session-bus/$(dbus-uuidgen --get)-$(echo $DISPLAY
if [ -e $session ] ; then
  . $session
fi

Any idea how to troubleshoot? I did not find anything recent via google.
Thanks.
m.