dbus-java on windows

rony rony at wu.ac.at
Wed Jan 21 00:56:24 PST 2015

Hi Laszlo,

On 19.01.2015 19:09, Keresztfalvi, Laszlo wrote:

>   * http://www.matthew.ath.cx/ is no longer available and getting the parts of libmatthew-java for
>     windows is a problem
>
>   * java implementation depends on Matthew's unix.jar which wants to call unix-java.dll ** via
>     JNI. However, I don't find any way to have unix-java on windows.
>
> Compiling the java-libdbus bind version doesn't seem easier either. I'd appreciate any help to
> communicate with a dbus deamon or over a direct dbus connection to a python service from Java on
> Windows.
>
> It'd be great to have dbus-daemon in Java on Windows too but I can run it from the successfull
> native libdbus build. Any possible incompatibility between daemon and client in different
> languages? I mean the implemented dbus spec. doesn't seem to be in sync among the ports.

independent of Simon's answer and dbus-java, if you have a need to code in Java to access a Python
(actually any) dbus service on Windows and short of any other options, you could do something
"crazy" like using via Java another scripting language (ooRexx) to interact via dbus with a Python
service on Windows. For such a solution (available for Windows, Linux and MacOSX) you would have to
install ooRexx, the ooRexx Java bridge BSF4ooRexx (allows Java to interact with ooRexx and vice
versa) and dbus4oorexx once. Once installed and operational you could then use all dbus services in
an easy manner from Java, as the typing needs would be transparently managed between Java and ooRexx
and the dbus service. Therefore there would be no need for Java to create and compile skeleton Java
classes just to interact with dbus services.

If this option sounds interesting for you to explore, then contact me directly, unless there would
be others for whom such a solution might be interesting as well, should the Java dbus binding not be
updated. (If interested, I could also come up with a small Java example to demonstrate interacting
with a dbus service using ooRexx as a bridge such that you can judge how easy or complicated that
would be.)

---rony