dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block eats 100% CPU then eventually times out

Ralf Habacker ralf at habacker.de
Sat Jan 31 08:12:10 PST 2015

Am 31.01.2015 um 16:10 schrieb Ralf Habacker:

> Am 31.01.2015 um 14:49 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
>>
>>> 5 19:27, "Ralf Habacker" <ralf at habacker.de
>>> <mailto:ralf at habacker.de>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     Am 31.01.2015 um 05:04 schrieb Alex Brooks:
>>>     > Hi,
>>>     >
>>>     > I've been fighting for a long time with what now looks like a
>>>     libdbus
>>>     > bug.
>>>     > I have a cut-down test program which calls a dbus method of
>>>     > wpa_supplicant at 100Hz, it does this happily for several
>>>     hours then
>>>     > at some point the behaviour changes: any future calls sit at
>>>     100% CPU
>>>     > for 25sec then time out.
>>>
> After running about 54 minutes I got:
>
>  counts      time (ms)
> 300272 3245606 signalInfo rssi=-63
> 300273 3245616 signalInfo rssi=-63
> Error: wpa_supplicant DBus error in signalPoll: Did not receive a
> reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
> reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

second run gave same results:

300272 3548324 1 signalInfo rssi=-57
300273 3548413 79 signalInfo rssi=-59
Error: wpa_supplicant DBus error in signalPoll: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

Sounds as a kind of limits reached. The counts are collected as shown below:

    while ( true )
    {
        try {
            int a = timer.elapsed();
            int rssi = signalPoll( *netDevInterfaceInterface_ );
            int b = timer.elapsed();
            cout << i++ << " " << b << " " << (b-a) << " signalInfo
rssi=" << rssi << endl;
        }