Fwd: dbus-monitor from remote PC (Win7 machie)

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 06:38:22 PDT 2015

On 22/07/15 14:16, kishore wrote:
> I wanted to see the dbus messages of UBUNTU machine from windows machine
> by running the dbus-monitor from window7. for that i had done the below
> entries in /etc/dbus-1/session.conf
>
>   <listen>tcp:host=localhost,bind=*,port=6669</listen>
>   <listen>unix:tmpdir=/tmp</listen>
>   <auth>ANONYMOUS</auth>
>   <allow_anonymous/>

D-Bus over remote TCP is neither frequently-tested nor secure; in
particular, opening up anonymous access as you have done makes it
completely insecure. I recommend not doing this. Instead, run a ssh
(Secure Shell) server on the Ubuntu machine, and log in remotely, for
instance by running PuTTY on the Windows machine. That will let you run
remote commands of your choice, including dbus-monitor.

By copying the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable from your
login session to the ssh shell, you can monitor any session bus.

> 1. Am i doing wrong or missing anything here ?

I think Ubuntu systems have a firewall by default. That might be what's
blocking your connection.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>