question about multiple machines

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 11:43:00 PDT 2015

On Monday 27 July 2015 11:25:46 Erik Bennett wrote:
> I'm new to D-Bus, so please be patient.
>
> I have a situation where I have three computers and one XTerminal.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_terminal>
>
> The three machines are:
>
>   * darkstar (compile/build machine)
>   * nostromo (thunderbird/firefox)
>   * sulaco (file server/nautilus)
>
> All three display on the Xterminal, some as different users.
>
> My question(s):
>
>   * Will d-bus handle this (admittedly unusual) situation gracefully?

That depends on what you mean by "gracefully".

D-Bus is not network-transparent. Each machine will behave as if it were
isolated from the rest. Any remote X windows will behave as if they were being
displayed on the local machine's display. Those processes will not talk to
other processes running on different machines over D-Bus -- though they may
still see each other via X.

>   * Will just one computer be the d-bus "master"?

Question is not relevant.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358