question about multiple machines

Erik Bennett kallard495 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:51:15 PDT 2015

On 07/27/2015 11:43 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2015 11:25:46 Erik Bennett wrote:
>> I'm new to D-Bus, so please be patient.
>>
>> I have a situation where I have three computers and one XTerminal.
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_terminal>
>>
>> The three machines are:
>>
>>    * darkstar (compile/build machine)
>>    * nostromo (thunderbird/firefox)
>>    * sulaco (file server/nautilus)
>>
>> All three display on the Xterminal, some as different users.
>>
>> My question(s):
>>
>>    * Will d-bus handle this (admittedly unusual) situation gracefully?
> That depends on what you mean by "gracefully".
>
> D-Bus is not network-transparent. Each machine will behave as if it were
> isolated from the rest. Any remote X windows will behave as if they were being
> displayed on the local machine's display. Those processes will not talk to
> other processes running on different machines over D-Bus -- though they may
> still see each other via X.
>
>>    * Will just one computer be the d-bus "master"?
> Question is not relevant.

Ah.

So there are a couple of points I left out of my original post:

  * darkstar runs the X display manager, and after login, the X window
    manager.
  * all three of the workstations (darkstar, nostromo, and sulaco) are
    headless (no keyboard, mouse, or display)

Follow-on questions:

  * Is the model for D-Bus like MS Windows?  That is, all of the
    applications (X clients) for my session run on one machine
    displaying in the same session on that same machine?
  * Are there plans to make this more like traditional X systems? That
    is multiple X clients on multiple machines possibly running as
    multiple users?

I'm not trashing on D-Bus, I'm just trying to understand how or if D-Bus
fits into our environment.

Thanks, again.

-Erik