question about multiple machines

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 13:58:27 PDT 2015

On Monday 27 July 2015 12:51:15 Erik Bennett wrote:
> Ah.
>
> So there are a couple of points I left out of my original post:
>
>   * darkstar runs the X display manager, and after login, the X window
>     manager.
>   * all three of the workstations (darkstar, nostromo, and sulaco) are
>     headless (no keyboard, mouse, or display)
>
> Follow-on questions:
>
>   * Is the model for D-Bus like MS Windows?  That is, all of the
>     applications (X clients) for my session run on one machine
>     displaying in the same session on that same machine?

I don't see how that is relevant. D-Bus does not do screen sharing, that's X's
job.

Applications that use D-Bus for their IPC will only be able to talk to other
applications running on the same machine, not to others that happen to be
displaying on the same X display server.

That may or may not be what you want. For example, if your application uses D-
Bus for out-of-process network access, you want it to find a local daemon
running on the same machine.

>   * Are there plans to make this more like traditional X systems? That
>     is multiple X clients on multiple machines possibly running as
>     multiple users?

No. The plans are actually the other way around, to make the X systems be more
like D-Bus.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358