kernel traps

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 10:02:20 UTC 2016

Well, I think I've managed to solve the issue. The problem probably wasn't in DBus itself, but in how glib reads the XDG_DATA_DIRS variable and the way I set it (past tense).

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what went wrong, but I presume I ended up setting XDG_DATA_DIRS to a value that glib didn't know how to handle, possibly simply ":/opt/local/share" instead of "/opt/local/share". I haven't fixed all places where that particular value could result, so my fix may be based on chance in part, but in that case chance has been smiling on me for a countless number of logins in a row now. We'll see after the next reboot...

I still have to figure out when to set XDG_DATA_DIRS early enough. Apparently ~/.cshrc isn't early enough as I still need the session-local.conf file. In itself that's fine with me (it seems an appropriate use for an appropriate case) but the question has piqued my interest :)

Thanks in any case for the feedback; without that I'd probably still be searching (or postponing it).