dbus - autokey problem

Dave Kimble dave.kimble at riseup.net
Sat Mar 26 02:17:38 UTC 2016

Thanks for your help.
autokey-gtk sets up hot key combinations and strings to be output when
the hot key is pressed -
very handy for my email address, website URL, etc.  It loads on user login.

I should just clarify that I have Desktop and Laptop, (Laptop's Lubuntu
14.04 was cloned from Desktop a while ago).
On Desktop autokey-gtk works, and on Laptop it doesn't.

On boot and login, Laptop's desktop has an untitled window saying :
"Error starting interface. Keyboard monitoring will be disabled. Check
your system/configuration.
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc0 in position 0: invalid start byte"
Before clearing that window, I have 2 processes called dbus-daemon owned
by "user" (me),
and 1 process called dbus-daemon owned by root,
and 1 process called dbus-launch owned by me,
and 1 process called autokey-gtk owned by me.

Comparing the two (as best I can) they seem to have exactly the same
configuration.

Both have /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket , and /pid which contains nnn,
which lxtask says is dbus-daemon, Owner = root

$ id -u root
0
$ id -u messagebus
102

I do NOT have /tmp/dbus-* on either Desktop or Laptop, even though
Desktop has autokey working.
I do not have /run/user/1000/bus

$ dbus-monitor --session
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.285 serial=2
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameAcquired
    string ":1.285"
method call sender=:1.285 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=3
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch
    string "eavesdrop=true,type='method_call'"
method call sender=:1.285 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=4
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch
    string "eavesdrop=true,type='method_return'"
method call sender=:1.285 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=5
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch
    string "eavesdrop=true,type='error'"
signal sender=:1.31 -> dest=(null destination) serial=1741 path=/;
interface=org.kde.KDirNotify; member=leftDirectory
    string "file:///tmp"
^C

Sorry that is all such a mess, but I am thoroughly confused.
Is it possible to remove dbus and re-install it?
Looking forward to installing Lubuntu 16.04 next month.