dbus - autokey problem

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:36:46 UTC 2016

On 26/03/16 02:17, Dave Kimble wrote:
> On boot and login, Laptop's desktop has an untitled window saying :
> "Error starting interface. Keyboard monitoring will be disabled. Check
> your system/configuration.
> 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc0 in position 0: invalid start byte"

This looks like a Python codec issue. Look for configuration or data
files related to autokey-gtk that are different between the desktop and
laptop and contain the byte 0xC0: my guess would be that you have a
configuration file somewhere that is encoded in Latin-1, where
autokey-gtk expects UTF-8. U+00C0 is LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE,
if that helps.

>From what you have quoted, I do not see any reason to believe that this
problem is D-Bus-related.

> Before clearing that window, I have 2 processes called dbus-daemon owned
> by "user" (me),

`pgrep dbus-daemon | xargs ps ww` will probably show you that one of
them has the `--session` command-line argument, and the other has
`--config-file=/etc/at-spi2/accessibility.conf`. If so, then this is
working correctly.

> I do NOT have /tmp/dbus-* on either Desktop or Laptop, even though
> Desktop has autokey working.

That is as expected. The bus addresses used on older Linux systems,
"unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-XXXX", look superficially similar to filenames
but are not actually filenames.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>