DBus on "other" platforms

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:11:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

There have been a number of remarks on KDE mailing list recently about how "DBus
is a fish out of the water" or "not a common service" on OS X (and MSWin). The
latter isn't untrue, but the former?

To what extent do DBus developers consider DBus to be a (potential) cross-
platform Desktop Bus solution? I understand that many if not most of the
adaptations to make it run on MSWin were incorporated, but I have to notice that
there are still some patches being applied by the MacPorts port on OS X (= the
version I'm running):
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/devel/dbus/files

I'm by no means an experienced DBus user but I do have the impression that it'll
be a lot of work to come up with a (more) native replacement, which will most
likely be using the same or very similar underlying IPC mechanisms (at least on
OS X). If in addition that alternative should support the existing collection of
.service, .interface etc. files it would probably really be a good example of
reinventing the wheel, no? If so, wouldn't that effort be better spent on making
DBus more at home and OS X and/or MSWin?