DBus on "other" platforms

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:56:56 UTC 2016

On Thursday May 12 2016 02:42:01 Rick Mann wrote:

(I hope you didnt do a personal reply on purpose..)

>I use it on OS X, but only to ease development. My deployment target is Debian on Beaglebone Black.

That's one use case. Another use case is related to my own professional background. OS X is my main platform, which I used in my work as a research scientist and (later) research engineer, in a heterogenous environment that also had MS Windows and Linux workstations. Thanks to projects like Fink and MacPorts (and Cygwin) I could use the same FOSS applications on all of those platforms and they'd work (and inter-operate) as similarly as possible *).
Without having any stats I think that I'm far from being the only "that kind of user" of such software distributions systems .

*) Actually, for a very long time I used to fire up XQuartz in full-screen/rooted mode, and run an X11-based desktop, with a hotkey that allowed me to switch between that and a purely native/Aqua desktop. Best of both worlds :)

R.