Making the system dbus aware of a "parallel KF5 prefix"

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Sep 16 16:00:07 UTC 2016

On sexta-feira, 16 de setembro de 2016 12:22:08 PDT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I've been building and installing Qt5 and select KF5 applications to
> /opt/local for use "under" my trusty (sic) old KDE4 desktop. I build with
> full rpaths so I don't have to fool around with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> ldconfig. My session dbus daemon is perfectly happy to expose the services
> from /opt/local after I created a session-local.conf as described at
>
> https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Test_plasm
> a#Configure_dbus
>
> but the system dbus doesn't play so nicely.

You shouldn add another <servicedr> entry to /etc/dbus-1/system.conf so that
it will find the system .service files wherever you may have installed. This
works as long as your dbus-daemon isn't offloading starting of processes to
systemd -- if it is, this becomes a systemd problem and you should consult
systemd help.