thoughts(?) on interconnecting dbus on 2 systems to get anything useful...

Thomas Downing tdowning at bomgar.com
Mon Jun 19 11:35:17 UTC 2017

On Saturday, June 17, 2017 20:30:58 L A Walsh wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >  On Saturday, 17 June 2017 12:43:56 PDT L A Walsh wrote:
> > > Are there any examples or documentation on interconnecting
> > > dbus's on different machines to function more as one, "extended
> > > bus", or how would I connect them?  Has anyone else tried
> > > this or gotten this to work?
> >
> >  No one has tried, much less succeeded in doing that, that we
> >  know of. There are no examples for you to draw upon.
>
> ----
>
>    :-( -- worse than bleeding edge, eh?
> >
> >  And then you made things even more complicated by introducing
> >  Windows into the mix.
>
> ----
>
>    If it's never been done before, why make it simple?  Ehhrr...
> _actually_, on the Winbox I intend to use cygwin's Dbus as I use
> its 'X'server now (and I intend to simplify where feasible).
[snip]

>   Main hope is to figure out if I can even get a distributed session
> bus working -- maybe a coordinated or connected system bus isn't
> needed?
>
>    Thanks again,
>    Linda W.

Seems to me a good approach would be to use an existing distributed protocol
such as an MQ, or more light weight, Spread Toolkit.  Then if needed create a
dbus/distributed-proto bridge for those messages you want to distribute.

--
Thomas Downing

Flon's Law:
    There is not now, and never will be, a language in
which it is the least bit difficult to write bad programs.