Migrating D-Bus to GitLab

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Aug 22 15:51:17 UTC 2018

Hi Simon,

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:10, Simon McVittie <smcv at collabora.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 11:13:43 +0100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > In the short term, we would like to move your Git repository. All this
> > means is that you will have to activate your gitlab.freedesktop.org
> > account (separate to the old SSH account), and that you will only be
> > able to push to GitLab from now on; anongit and cgit will still
> > function as read-only mirrors so your users do not need to change
> > anything.
>
> For dbus-glib and dbus-python I've been the only committer for some
> time. Please go ahead with migrating git hosting for these, and it's
> fine to migrate bugs from Bugzilla into Gitlab issues too if you have
> a mechanism to do so (they would make good test projects).
>
> For dbus I think the Gitlab migration for git hosting (but not bugs yet!)
> is also fine. Ideally Ralf and Thiago should also reclaim their accounts
> first, but I'm either a reviewer or a committer for most bugs, so I'm
> already on the critical path there.
>
> dbus-doc, dbus-mono, dbus-qt, dbus-qt3 seem to be dead, so I think they
> should be migrated but immediately archived. dbus-doc has had one commit,
> ever; dbus-mono has not had any activity in a decade and has been
> superseded by <https://github.com/mono/dbus-sharp>; and dbus-qt{,3} have
> been superseded by the QtDBus module inside Qt itself.
>
> dbus-java and dbus-test are Matthew Johnson's projects. I think it would
> be OK to migrate them anyway, if Matthew does not object soon; it's not
> as if they've had any commits this decade.

All of that makes sense. Could you please file a new issue at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/new/
using the migration template? That has the advantage of having more
detail and not relying on lossy human memory.

> > Longer term, we are also hoping to move away from Bugzilla.
>
> For dbus, I would prefer not to rush into this; we have a lot of bugs
> tracked, and we have used the embargoed bugs feature quite a lot in
> the past, so I would need to be sure that this still works.

Sure. The embargo feature does definitely work: when you file a new
issue, you're asked if you would like it to be 'confidential', which
restricts it to only those with push access to the project. We've used
that for Wayland security issues previously.

The migration does not affect embargoed bugs: it can't see into the
D-Bus Security group, so just leaves those bugs completely alone.

> For dbus-python and dbus-glib I think we can just go ahead though,
> and that would make a good test for this process.

Sure. If you could fill out all the Bugzilla details anyway, I'll just
do dbus-python and dbus-glib first; if there are any showstoppers in
the migration we can stop and fix those, else we can just carry on and
do the rest when you've looked over and are satisfied it works.

Cheers,
Daniel