Fwd: Re: Location of system socket

Matt Wette matt.wette at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 19:00:19 UTC 2018

On 12/16/18 10:33 AM, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2018, at 12:42 PM, Matt Wette<matt.wette at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> On 12/16/18 9:33 AM, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What is the best way to find the system bus socket’s location if, e.g., a custom location is compiled into libdbus? (Assuming libdbus is not loaded.)
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> -FG
>> not sure the best, but ...
>>
>>    $ grep '<listen>' /etc/dbus-1/system.conf
>>      <listen>unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket</listen>
> That’s assuming that we know the location of the system.conf file. How to discover that?
>
> -FG

$ which dbus-daemon
/usr/bin/dbus-daemon

$ strings /usr/bin/dbus-daemon | grep system.conf
/usr/share/dbus-1/system.conf

But still dbus-daemon could be started with --config-file=/path/to/file so if you
want something bullet-proof you'll have to be exhaustive on the startup options,
which binary is executed etc.