Fwd: What would be a valid D-Bus interface name for a project without domain?

Miroslav Kravec kravec.miroslav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:20:43 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm going to create a daemon for an open-source project. It's hosted on
github, and there's no real domain bought for it.

I've read at D-Bus specification
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-protocol-names>,
that:

Interface names should start with the reversed DNS domain name of the
author of the interface (in lower-case), like interface names in Java...

GitHub provides github.io pages for users/organizations. So, the valid
interface name could be io.github.project-name.InterfaceName (GitHub
organisation, repository owner, name is the same as the project/tool name).

However, this would tie the project to the GitHub. GitHub is friendly to
open-source projects, but still I don't like idea to tie some identifier to
git hosting provider.

So, I though of project-name.InterfaceName as the name for the interface.
The project already is packaged as project-name in various distributions,
therefore there won't be naming collision. However, this isn't "scoped"
under some domain. But, specification doesn't use word must but it says
should. Therefore, is it a valid interface name?

Or, is there other approach for projects without a dedicated domain?

The question was originally posted at stackoverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48400766/what-would-
be-a-valid-d-bus-interface-name-for-a-project-without-domain?noredirect=1#
comment83789769_48400766

Kind regards,
Miroslav Kravec