Fwd: What would be a valid D-Bus interface name for a project without domain?

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Jan 23 14:59:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 at 15:20:43 +0100, Miroslav Kravec wrote:
>     Interface names should start with the reversed DNS domain name of the
>     author of the interface (in lower-case), like interface names in Java...
>
> GitHub provides github.io pages for users/organizations. So, the valid
> interface name could be io.github.project-name.InterfaceName (GitHub
> organisation, repository owner, name is the same as the project/tool name).

The current recommendation is to translate dashes to underscores, but
otherwise yes.

> However, this would tie the project to the GitHub. GitHub is friendly to
> open-source projects, but still I don't like idea to tie some identifier to git
> hosting provider.

I would recommend choosing some hosting provider (GitHub, GitLab,
Bitbucket or similar, or a Linux distribution like Debian or Fedora, or
maybe freedesktop.org) and getting a domain name via them; or buying a
domain name for your project and using it for your project's website too.

Is there any particular open source distribution that you
have some sort of link to? You could perhaps use something like
org.debian.packages.yourproject to mean "the project listed as yourproject
on packages.debian.org"?

> So, I though of project-name.InterfaceName as the name for the interface. The
> project already is packaged as project-name in various distributions, therefore
> there won't be naming collision. However, this isn't "scoped" under some
> domain. But, specification doesn't use word must but it says should. Therefore,
> is it a valid interface name?

It is syntactically valid, but semantically not a great idea.

> Or, is there other approach for projects without a dedicated domain?

What do Java developers do in this situation? D-Bus borrowed the reversed
domain name convention from there.

What do Android app-store app developers do in this situation? It has
a very similar namespacing model.

    smcv