What would be a valid D-Bus interface name for a project without domain?

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Wed Jan 24 11:19:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 at 10:16:52 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> The org.freedesktop.* namespace should be reserved for FreeDesktop.Org
> projects, not for random projects. It's especially important because
> DBus interfaces reside on the org.freedesktop.* namespace.

Yes. org.freedesktop.DBus is/should be reserved for D-Bus itself (the
standardized specification, and the reference implementation).

If people not affiliated with freedesktop.org start using names in that
namespace for their D-Bus APIs, then we've just moved the namespace
collision further down the hierarchy, not actually solved anything.
If you want to *become* affiliated with freedesktop.org, see
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/NewProject/>. Any project that has
not been through that process should not be using the freedesktop.org
namespace.

Domain names are not expensive
(e.g. <https://www.mythic-beasts.com/domains> is where I get mine,
and is not the cheapest around) and can sometimes be obtained at zero
cost. There are also lots of version-control and hosting providers that
will give you free subdomains; if you want your project to be widely
used, it should probably have a long-term VCS, website and contact email
address *anyway*, otherwise you'll find yourself in a situation where
you can't release new versions.

If you really want a namespace with no uniqueness guarantees, .invalid
is permanently reserved by RFC 2606 and .local by RFC 6762, so you could
use invalid.yourname.YourProject or local.yourname.YourProject. (See also
the Special-Use Domain Names registry established by RFC 6761,
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/special-use-domain-names/special-use-domain-names.xhtml#special-use-domain>.)

    smcv