Activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' failed

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Sep 11 11:43:51 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 19:50:11 +0000, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/issues/134 suggests
> 'XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session' for [starting]
> Gnome.

If you have logged in on a tty and there is a session bus already
running, you should be able to omit the dbus-run-session part of that
command and just use "XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland gnome-session".

The usual way to run GNOME is to use a display manager like gdm (GNOME's
own display manager) or lightdm. Logging in to a text console and running
GNOME yourself is an unusual configuration which will not necessarily
work as expected.

> I use systemd with whanever happens to be default.  Does this imply
> systemctl --user?

This is a system integration question and depends on your operating
system vendor (integrator).

It depends where you got your systemd, how your distribution configured
it, (for binary distributions) which packages you installed (for
example on Debian and its derivatives, just installing the systemd
package is not enough, you also need to install libpam-systemd), and how
your PAM stack is set up (/etc/pam.d in Debian, path may vary in other
distros).

If you set everything up yourself by building from source, then system
integration issues like this are up to you.

> How to verify I have a properly set up systemd-logind session?

Run "loginctl" and you should see a session for each concurrent login.
For example, on this Debian laptop, I have one session for myself,
and one for the gdm "greeter" (login prompt):

    SESSION  UID USER       SEAT  TTY
          5 1000 smcv       seat0 tty2
         c1  119 Debian-gdm seat0 tty1

    2 sessions listed.

> After login and starting weston and epiphany I have these processes:
>
> message+   654     1  0  9772  3648   0 Sep04 ?        00:00:53
> /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile
> --systemd-activation --syslog-only

That's the system bus, and is not directly relevant here. It appears to
be running as a systemd system service, which is what I would expect.
This is good.

> d        21278 21262  0  9265  3956   2 19:42 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile
> --systemd-activation --syslog-only

That's the session bus for user "d". It appears to be running as a
systemd user service, which means you don't need to use dbus-run-session.
You are in the "one high-level session per user-session" case described
in <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2015-January/016522.html>
(also known as the "user bus" model). This is good.

> d        21343 21338  0  9177  3156   2 19:43 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
> --config-file=/usr/local/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork
> --print-address 3

That's the AT-SPI accessibility bus, also as user "d".

Note that this is /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon rather than
/usr/bin/dbus-daemon. Do you have two separate copies of dbus installed?
I would recommend having a single installation of dbus with --prefix=/usr,
--sysconfdir=/etc and --localstatedir=/var (you'll probably also want
--runstatedir=/run), like most Linux/Unix systems do.

    smcv