multiple services per client?

Felipe Gasper felipe at felipegasper.com
Mon Feb 18 12:26:05 UTC 2019

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 1:14 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 00:52:07 -0500, Felipe Gasper wrote:
>>
>>    It appears to be theoretically possible, but the reference
>> implementation’s daemon seems always to rewrite the DESTINATION
>> header to be the destination’s unique bus name, which in effect rules
>> out multiple services per connection.
>
> If you want to differentiate services, do it based on the interface
> name, not the bus name. Remember that a client can easily address a
> request to your unique name instead of your well-known name anyway. You
> don’t want to behave differently based on this, do you?

The two services could employ interfaces A & B versus A & C, though. Then you can’t distinguish between the services for messages sent to interface A, even though they’re different services.

My thinking was that a setup where two services share the same unique name would reject messages sent directly to the unique name. Of course, that would screw up messaging with the daemon itself.

This is more a theoretical inquiry than anything, though it would seem to make for a nice abstraction were this possible.

-F