The REAL Preferred Python Binding Library

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Dec 10 09:10:23 UTC 2020

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, at 06:15, Dave Morgan wrote:
>      - communicates easily with gnome apps, the example is from
> org.gnome.Contacts.SearchProvider through
> org.gnome.Shell.SearchProvider2 and works perfectly

If you're trying to *communicate* with Gnome apps, any D-Bus binding should work. After all, that's the point of having a standard protocol. :-) However, if the code you're writing uses GTK or GObject anyway, GDBus or something built on top of it (like pydbus) is likely to integrate best with that.

Pydbus is a pure Python wrapper around GDBus - but as you noticed, it hasn't been touched in a few years. If you think it's valuable enough, you could fork it, or see if anyone is already working on a fork.

dbus-python ('import dbus') is pointing people to alternatives, including GDBus, in the front page of its docs (https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/ ). My read is that if you're using a GLib or Qt event loop, you should look to the respective G/Q libraries, but if not, dbus-python may still be a reasonable choice. (I also maintain a pure-Python D-Bus library called Jeepney, but that's still maturing and I doubt it's the most convenient option)

Thomas