The REAL Preferred Python Binding Library

dbus at 1001111.com dbus at 1001111.com
Thu Dec 10 22:04:35 UTC 2020

Thanks to all who replied. At this time I'm going to move forward with
the dual interface(pybus, dbus) class and start researching the GLib
data formatting.

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.nz> To:
dbus at lists.freedesktop.org Subject: Re: The REAL Preferred Python
Binding Library

>   ? pydbus:
>   ??? - cannot package complex data properly (navit mapping app, D-Bus
> method set_destination, requires a format of? "(iii)s"

In dbus it is very easy to package data. I was hoping to be able to do the same in pydbus
Thanks for the code below, I think it will help a lot for the longer term GLib research.

> m = dbus.lowlevel.MethodCallMessage("com.example", "/", "com.example", "hi")
> m.append([3, 4, 5], "hi", signature = "(iii)s")
> m.get_args_list()
> [dbus.Struct((dbus.Int32(3), dbus.Int32(4), dbus.Int32(5)), signature=None), dbus.String('hi')]

> From: "Thomas Kluyver"<thomas at kluyver.me.uk>
> To:dbus at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: The REAL Preferred Python Binding Library
>> If you're trying to*communicate*  with Gnome apps, any D-Bus binding should work. After all, that's the point of having a standard protocol.

That's what I would have thought but there are differences between them all. Mind you, the gnome devs seem to like making things obscure :(

Thanks once again
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited
dave.morgan at 1001111.com
403 399 2442