Error naming convention on dbus

Zeeshan Ali zeeshanak at gnome.org
Sat Feb 6 12:20:10 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 at 11:45, Nyirő Gergő <gergo at nyiro.name> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I would like to ask about the naming convention of dbus errors.
>
> I saw the following pattern in dbus libraries: if the response  to the
> `Set` method of the `org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties` interface is an
> error then the name of the error is prefixed with
> `org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Error.`.
>
> Is it right that the name of the error should correlate with the
> invoked interface (<interface-name> + ".Error." + <error-type>)?
>
> Is there any official rule about the error names?
> Is there a list of common errors somewhere?

You can find the official rules and recommended conventions about
error names here:
https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-protocol-names-error

> At first glance it seems that the instrospection data does not contain
> the possible errors. Is it right or they can be inculded somehow?

Not officially, no but I recall there was a Telepathy extension
standard for that, although I can't seem to find it right now.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali