Questions about d-bus for a specific application

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Feb 18 15:04:45 UTC 2021

In line with what others have said, you probably don't want D-Bus, even though it's possible to use it like that. D-Bus is mostly used for programs communicating on one computer. It can be used over a network, but most of the examples and default settings you'll find probably won't go over the network. Opening D-Bus to the network without care can be a major security hole.

There are lots of systems which are designed to send messages between computers. ZeroMQ is a fairly popular and simple one which might work for what you describe. If your images are actually video frames, then you might want a video streaming protocol, like Igor talks about.

Thomas