RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Thu Aug 18 22:41:32 UTC 2022

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:25:16 +0200, David Rheinsberg wrote:

> Why is it so hard for the D-Bus community to welcome external
> contributions, to encourage people to work on specification updates,
> to support development efforts?

Just to point out the Free Desktop mission statement
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/>:

    freedesktop.org hosts the development of free and open source
    software, focused on interoperability and shared technology for
    open-source graphical and desktop systems.

Note that “open-source graphical and desktop systems”. Does Microsoft
Windows count as one of those? Last I checked, no.

If you want to fork XDG-based open-source software to make it run on
Windows (or Apple, for that matter), nobody is stopping you. If you
want XDG specs to be changed to make this possible, then I expect you
are going to encounter resistance.

However, all is not lost. The Cygwin folks seem to be making progress
in adapting Windows to work better with XDG-based software, and
POSIX-based APIs in general. If you want to make a useful contribution,
I suggest you work with them, rather than against them. This seems to me
to be a more fruitful approach than trying to struggle directly with raw
Windows APIs.