RFC: adding fd-passing to win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 21:42:25 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 18 August 2022 19:41:32 -03 Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> However, all is not lost. The Cygwin folks seem to be making progress
> in adapting Windows to work better with XDG-based software, and
> POSIX-based APIs in general. If you want to make a useful contribution,
> I suggest you work with them, rather than against them. This seems to me
> to be a more fruitful approach than trying to struggle directly with raw
> Windows APIs.

Personally, while I support wholeheartedly anyone who is attempting to bring
more FOSS to Windows, I don't particularly thing Cygwin is the way to go. It's
way too close to "uncanny valley" of Unix systems, where it looks like Unix,
but is subtly different enough that it feels weird.

Anyway, I think the effort that Marc-André is looking at is probably going to
be "native Windows" (MinGW with GCC or Clang). I don't know if libdbus-1
compiles with MSVC or if that is ever a goal, but the protocol itself should
work with suitable code for that compiler, without linking to cygwin1.dll.