DeviceKit-power and backlight brightness

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 3 07:13:11 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:01 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

[Lots of good explanations about deficiencies in X snipped]

> Right, and fixing X is more than just a few hours work. I'll make you
> a promise: If XBACKLIGHT works for me on my T61 (intel, KMS), my Dell
> (nouveau, non-KMS) and my notebook (intel, non-KMS) for the release of
> F12, I'll remove that backlight code. And for now, maybe I just need
> to add DKP_I_KNOW_IM_MEANT_TO_USE_X compiler defines to make it clear.

I don't think the scope of DeviceKit-power is about what works on your
laptop (or my laptop or whatever) and what doesn't work in X. That's
just not how we should be designing our public interfaces.

(As a matter of fact, we've learned the really hard way (with HAL) that
it doesn't work that way. And while HAL made things a bit better in the
short-term, HAL is an unmaintable piece of crap that we're finally close
to getting rid of now. And we don't want to go back there.)

So you really need to revert that patch and stop trying to pretend to
solve the worlds problems by violating the layering the rest of us are
actually trying to make work. If you want to fix backlight, go hack on X
or Wayland. Don't invent your own public interfaces just because you
want some cheap wins.

Thanks,
David