music player database

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:52:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

2009/6/24 Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>:
> Jonathan Matthew [2009-06-21 22:46 +1000]:
>> I'm happy to work on some RB-friendly (c, glib) code for dealing with
>> this.  Whether that's interesting to other music players is up to them.
>> This feels like a case where the hassle of dealing with foreign code
>> outweighs the cost of reimplementing it, though, so I'm not really
>> expecting anyone else to use it.
>
> Well, that project would also contain the actual .mpi files, or do you
> plan to have them separately?

I wrapped your scripts and .mpi files with some autotools magic so
that we have a way to make tarballs and installs them easily. There is
no C code at the moment, I'm still unsure whether we want to ship some
glib/gobject lib with these data files (but Jonathan's code wrapping
both udev and hal looks really nice ;). This all can be found at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~teuf/media-player-id/ and I'll try to
move it in a real freedesktop repo once it has seen a few releases.

> I originally thought that the .rules file would be maintained
> directly. However, I like your and Kay's proposals, it makes more
> sense to have the .mpi files be self-contained, and have a script
> which produces udev rules from them.

This is what the Makefiles in the above git repository are doing: the
.mpi files are canonical and your script is used to generate udev
rules at build time.

Once the various comments from davidz email are addressed, I'll make a
first release so that we can test it out in real life ;)

Cheers,

Christophe