music player database

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Jul 5 08:45:07 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 10:55 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I don't think we should hardcode icon names in .mpi files. It'll cry
> for trouble for different themes, KDE vs. GNOME, etc. Either
> gvfs/solid should figure them out from the available data themselves,
> or .mpi should only have "device classes" (camera/music player/video
> player/phone).

Actually, the Icon Naming spec is supposed to make all this a non-issue;
the way it's supposed to work is something like

 multimedia-player-dell-dj-pocket
 multimedia-player-ipod-U2-color
 multimedia-player-motorola-rokr

which is already in tango-icon-theme-extras. The scheme used is

 multimedia-player-<vendor>-<product>

FWIW, GTK+ already supports fallbacks so e.g. the first entry will fall
back this way

 multimedia-player-dell-dj-pocket
 multimedia-player-dell-dj
 multimedia-player-dell
 multimedia-player

e.g. we'll pick icons in that order. So I think we should definitely do
this.

     David